The historic Ye Olde Kings Head pub was built in 1695 and is named after James II who had to flee and relinquish the crown in 1688 and who was replaced by in what was called ‘The Glorious Revolution’. That revolution, engendered by James’s Roman Catholicism, permanently established Parliament as the ruling power of England.
There are many original features but the pub has been added to and improved over the years. It does still retain a beautiful historical charm to this day. There are also some lovely stained glass windows at the front and the side of the pub that recount the flight of King James from these shores and also the return of Bonnie Prince Charlie a few years later.